What's new

Former president Fidel V. Ramos succumbs to Covid-19

(UPDATES) FIDEL Valdez Ramos, the country's 12th president, died at the Makati Medical Center Sunday. He was 94.

You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.
© The Manila TimesFormer President Fidel V. Ramos. FILE PHOTO
The Ramos family announced the former president's passing.

Ramos, who was president from 1992 to 1998, is widely regarded to be the driving force behind the renewed investor confidence in the Philippines. It was during his time that the Philippines was recognized as an emerging "tiger economy."

He was a military man who rose from the ranks to become the chief of the Philippine Constabulary and then vice chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) during the time of President Ferdinand E. Marcos Sr.

He was hailed as one of the heroes of the 1986 People Power Revolution, after he broke away from the administration of President Marcos and aligned himself with the newly established government of President Corazon Aquino.

Aquino appointed Ramos as armed forces chief of staff before promoting him to Defense secretary.

Ramos is survived by his wife, Amelita "Ming" Ramos, and their children Angelita Ramos-Jones, Carolina Ramos-Sembrano, Cristina Ramos-Jalasco and Gloria Ramos. Their other daughter Josephine Ramos-Samartino died in 2011.

Ramos was born on March 18, 1928. He graduated in 1950 from the United States Military Academy in West Point, New York. He attended graduate school at the University of Illinois, where he obtained a Master of Science in Civil Engineering in 1951.

As a young Army lieutenant, Ramos joined the Philippine Expeditionary Forces To Korea (Peftok). The Korean War broke out on June 25, 1950, and the Philippines was the first Asian country to respond to the call by the United Nations Security Council for combat troops to defend South Korea from an invasion by North Korea.

Peftok was composed of 7,420 Filipino soldiers.

Filipino casualties from the Korean war included 116 soldiers killed, 299 wounded and 57 missing in action.

In a brief statement, the Ramos family said: "We thank you all for respecting our privacy, as the family takes some time to grieve together.

"We will announce wake and funeral arrangements in the near future."

Tributes and condolences poured for Ramos.

President Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. said Ramos was not only a "good leader" but "also a member of the family."

The President urged every Filipino "to pray for the eternal repose of Mr. Ramos."

"The legacy of his presidency will always be cherished and will be forever enshrined in the hearts of our grateful nation," Marcos said.

Former president Rodrigo Duterte expressed sadness at the passing of "a great statesman, mentor and friend."

"As we grieve his loss, let us honor his legacy of service and his significant contributions to the country," Duterte said on Facebook.

The European Union (Mission in Manila on Sunday said Ramos "deepened" the relations between the EU and the Philippines.

The EU Mission described Ramos as "a dedicated statesman and a friend of the European Union under whose term the EU-Philippines relations deepened."

Ramos "was a pillar of democracy and peace an icon of EDSA revolution," the EU Mission tweeted.

Senate President Juan Miguel "Migz" Zubiri on Sunday said Ramos never stopped being a brilliant and committed leader, and the Philippines is "a poorer nation for his loss."

"Maybe it was his military background, but as a politician he was always able to quickly assess the landscape, and formulate the best way forward through consultation and consensus," Zubiri said in a statement.

He said Ramos "left behind a brand of democratic leadership that allowed for us to grow into the new Asian tiger of the '90s."

"And beyond economic progress, he also left an indelible mark on our peace process, which I particularly admire him for, as a Mindanaoan myself. He met eye to eye with the MNLF (Moro National Liberation Front) and the other armed groups, recognizing their struggle and their freedom to pursue their cause," he said.

Former Senate president Vicente "Tito" Sotto 3rd said Ramos "served the country well."

"We were elected at the same time in 1992, and I was a witness to how he did his best to unify the country and people," Sotto said in a text message.

Sen. Ramon "Bong" Revilla Jr. said he regarded Ramos as the "father of public service."

"It was President Ramos who convinced me to join public service as he invited me to Lakas-CMD (Christian-Muslim Democrats)," Revilla said in a statement.

"After some three decades, I continue to be with Lakas, espousing its ideals. He was my first and true mentor as I forayed into politics, being elected as Cavite's vice governor in 1995. Up to this day, FVR is an inspiration and an example I greatly look up to," he said.

"While the passing of our chairman emeritus is a great loss to our party, it does not compare to the loss of our country. He was one of the best," Revilla said.

Sen. Mary Grace Poe described Ramos as "a steadfast leader and democracy icon." She said his "resolute vision paved the way for real economic gains that brought the Philippines to a rising tiger status."

"The occasions I met with former President FVR left indelible lessons on being a firm and dedicated public servant," Poe said.

Sen. Emmanuel Joel Villanueva said Ramos will always be remembered for leading the nation into the new millennium.

"His dream of turning the country into a 'tiger economy' will always stay alive in the hearts of every Filipino. His iconic thumbs up sign and his 'kaya natin' (we can do it) mentality will continue to give us inspiration to push for progress in our country," Villanueva said.

Former senator Francis "Kiko" Pangilinan said Ramos "would be remembered for his key role in the restoration and defense of democracy in the Philippines and as the president who steered the Philippine economy during the Asian financial crisis."

Speaker Martin Romualdez, president of the Lakas-Christian Muslim Democrats, said Ramos was "a pillar of strength and an inspiration to all."

"President Ramos will be remembered as one of the great Filipino leaders that took good governance to heart. His experience as a military general and his innate charm set the blueprint for what Philippine leaders should be: tough when necessary, but with a caring heart for the common Filipino," Romualdez said.

Albay Second District Rep. Jose Ma. Clemente "Joey" Salceda called Ramos a "mentor and a model for my life in public service."

Rizal Fourth District Rep. Fidel Nograles said Ramos' "inspiring and effective leadership brought about political stability, prosperity and social programs for the people."

"We lost a great leader. Coalition-building is the heart of his governance," Cavite Fourth District Rep. Elpidio Barzaga Jr. said.

Biñan City Rep. Marlyn Alonte said the industrial estates and ecozones in and around Biñan were "the direct result of" Ramos' economic agenda and reforms.

Puwersa ng Bayaning Atleta Rep. Margarita Nograles praised Ramos as "the prime mover of the many reforms that became the foundation of our national policies."

Budget and Management Secretary Amenah Pangandaman said Ramos will be remembered "as a strong and decisive leader under whose administration government budgeting took on the mission of becoming an instrument for economic growth."

Defense Secretary Officer in Charge Jose Faustino Jr. said Ramos "underscored the importance of building a strong military organization and promoting collaboration with different stakeholders to uphold the nation's internal stability and security. His storied career in the military and in the public service earned him the admiration of Filipinos across political divides."

Philippine National Police spokesman BGen. Roderick Alba said that more than being a military leader and a government official, Ramos "served as a good example to humanity through his incomparable wisdom and deeds."

What was the reason behind his death? There are rumors about COVID-19 complications even if vaccinated and boosted, but I didn't read yet a full official statement from the family of Ramos. Can you please share if ever there is one? Thanks!

What was the reason behind his death? There are rumors about COVID-19 complications even if vaccinated and boosted, but I didn't read yet a full official statement from the family of Ramos. Can you please share if ever there is one? Thanks!

dude stop. that man is 94 years old. baka na hawa nalang sya right after ma confine sya.

Back