What's new

Firestick and Internet in PH

skysat

Eternal Poster
Established
Reaction
Good day everybody. I have the following questions for you.

1. Does an Amazon Firestick work in the Philippines or does a VPN have to be switched on beforehand?

2. I am looking for a good and inexpensive Internet provider for the family in the Bicol region. I heard there will soon be better and more powerful providers than Globe. I would be very happy to receive information.
salamat.
greetings from Berlin Germany, skysat

PS. Sorry for my Bad Englisch. I Hope you understand what i meane

I forgot something. Excuse me. Is internet via satellite also possible and how much does it cost per month?

I heard that and i think that is Starlink by Elon Musk. That is under negotiation on the government or private sector and a expensive one of course. You buy the equipment which is the satellite and paraphernalia of it then the monthly subscriptions i guess.

The Firestick itself would work just fine here without using any VPN. Some programming though may not be available depending on the app you're trying to watch it from because of georestrictions. Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and HBO Max would work. Disney Plus and the BBC player app thingy will totally not work here yet, unless of course, you use a VPN.

For the new ISP, google Dito Telecom Philippines and check on FB too for updates. They're only offering mobile internet plus calls and text and is only available in Cebu and Davao areas for now. They'll start to offer hardwired broadband internet within the next 2 years I think.

For VSAT internet, there are some small ISPs here like PhilSat, Bambunet (or Bambusat? not sure if they're the same or a separate company). It's very expensive to get those services. They'll charge around Php7-10K for 20MBps speed I think. Just check their websites for details.

Thank you very much for the information. I didn't imagine it to be that difficult. Then I have to wait until there is a better internet provider than Globe or Smart who offers a more stable and fast flat rate.
Greetings skysat