What's new

Explained: 02-12-23 Gospel

Kaplok Kaplok

Forum Veteran
Elite
Reaction
This Gospel is one of the most commonly misquoted especially in religious debates. Let us unpack the philosophy behind it and explore some of the fundamental mistakes some Christians preach, or atheist mistakenly "think" about Christian teachings to criticize the faith.
Jesus said to his disciples:
"I tell you, unless your righteousness surpasses
that of the scribes and Pharisees,
you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.
Here, Jesus acknowledges that the teachings of his time has been corrupted by the culture. But he tells the students must surpass the righteousness of the scribes and pharisees, rather than going against them. You have to have the correct dispositon to your actions.

Here are the three parts focused:
"You have heard that it was said to your ancestors,
You shall not kill; and whoever kills will be liable to judgment.
But I say to you,
whoever is angry with his brother
will be liable to judgment.
It is often misquoted by Christians that anger is wrong. This is not about the emotion of anger. By all means be angry if you see injustice. But he is talking about anger that is mishandled. The one the we carry for too long, that it turns into rage, that we become unreasonable. It can escalate so much to a point that it can push us to kill a brother.

"You have heard that it was said,
You shall not commit adultery.
But I say to you,
everyone who looks at a woman with lust
has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
The same here, this time talking about lust. It is not the feeling of lust in itself. And very specially not about looking at a women literally. It is about the kind of lust that we let grow within us. And when we lose control of the feeling, it makes us express it inappropriately.

So, when is anger and lust wrong?
We can actually refer to Aristotle's "You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now." theory for a clearer understanding of this. As quoted by Aristotle:
"at the right times, about the right things, towards the right people, for the right end, and in the right way, is the intermediate and best condition, and this is proper to virtue."
Like explained earlier, the behavior of anger and lust are not sins per se. It is the mishandling of these emotions, usually towards the excess that makes way to sin. So, as soon as we feel them wrongly, which is more likely, the righteous thing to do is let them go. Like a gangrene on your finger and toes, which will be toxic for your body, cut them off for your own well-being.
"Again you have heard that it was said to your ancestors,
Do not take a false oath,
but make good to the Lord all that you vow.
But I say to you, do not swear at all.
Let your 'Yes' mean 'Yes,'and your 'No' mean 'No.'
Anything more is from the evil one."
It is another misquoted verse. But this time due to the word "swearing" being synonymous to "saying bad words". If put it to the exact context of Jesus time, he as actually talking about people who says thinks like "I swear to the name of God" or "I swear in Jesus name". In Filipino context "Peksman, mamatay man"

This is a common practice done by Pagan beliefs to put honor in their words. However it has also been commonly abused by people to lie and trick others. He prescribes us to just put honor in your words,
Let your 'Yes' mean 'Yes,'and your 'No' mean 'No.' Anything more is from the evil one.
By doing what you say, against hypocrisy.

However, i am not saying "bad words" are good. When used too much, it signifies a persons lack moderation in their speech, which also can usually translates to lack of moderation in their actions if given a chance. When you express emotions in the wrong time, wrong extent, wrong subject, and overall wrong context, this is when behaviors becomes a sin.

Let end this with another Aristotle quote:
"Anybody can become angry, that is easy; but to be angry with the right person, and to the right degree, and at the right time, for the right purpose, and in the right way, that is not within everybody’s power and is not easy."

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
This is a GREAT CONTENT that must be spread and followed. Thank you for refreshing our minds about verses in the Bible. Please continue spreading the word of GOD. 🙏

Hindi nmn sila conflict ni Jesus. Although mas na flesh out nga ni Aristotle yung idea. 😀
Im not saying nman na may conflict.. im just saying na i agree with aristotle cause i doesnt matter skin kung ano sabi ni jesus or how you interpret it…but yeah.. aristotle laid it out directly…na better compare dun sa bible version