What's new

Duterte to Ilocanos: 'You can choose which Ilocano leader you like' - Manila Bulletin

Without mentioning a name, President Duterte told a crowd in Ilocos Sur that they can choose an Ilocano leader when his term ends.

Duterte made the remark on Friday, March 4, during the inauguration of the Narvacan Farmers Market.

In my Cabinet, apat o tatlo na lang kaming Bisaya, ang naiwan puro mga Ilokano na (In my Cabinet, there are only four or three of us who are Bisaya, the rest are Ilocanos),” Duterte said.

Some of the Ilocano officials Duterte named were Department of Agriculture Secretary William Dar who hails from Ilocos Sur, Department of Labor and Employment Secretary Silvestre Bello III from Cagayan, and Bureau of Internal Revenue Commissioner Caesar Dulay from Baguio City.

Kaya ibigay ko na lang ‘yan… aalis na ako sa Malacañang. Mamili na kayo kung sinong Ilocano na leader ang ilagay ninyo doon (I will be leaving Malacañang. You have to choose which Ilocano leader you would put there),” he added.

Duterte remained firm in his stance not to endorse any presidential candidate for the May 2022 polls, adding that he prefers to “stay neutral” nearly a month into the campaign period.

He has adopted a hands-off stance even as his daughter, vice presidential candidate and Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte, is running along with Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr., an Ilocano.

The President earlier said he would reveal in the future some issues against the presidential bets, though he singled out Marcos for being “spoiled” and a “weak leader.”

“Hindi ako bilib sa kanya (I am not a fan of his)… He’s really a weak leader. Kaya ako sabi ko — totoo ‘yan, hindi ako naninira ng tao, talagang weak ‘yan kasi spoiled child, only son (That’s why I said — that’s true, I’m not destroying his reputation. He’s really weak because he’s a spoiled child, an only son),” Duterte said in November last year.

You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Back