What's new

Duterte announces retirement from politics

AAP43Ud.jpg

President Rodrigo Duterte announced on Saturday his retirement from politics.

Duterte made the announcement minutes after his longtime aide, Senator Bong Go, You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. for Vice President in Eleksyon 2022.

Duterte said the “overwhelming sentiment” of the Filipino people pushed him to wí†hdráw his supposed vice-presidential run in Eleksyon 2022.

“I would like to address myself to the entire nation. The universal sentiment of the Filipino as reflected on surveys, on many forums and caucuses, and meetings to discuss what I should do in my life, the overwhelming sentiment of the Filipinos is I’m not qualified, it would be a violation of the Constitution, to circumvent the law, the spirit of the Constitution,” Duterte said.

“So, in obedience to the will of the people, who after all placed me to the presidency many years ago, I now say sa mga kababayan ko, sundin ko ang gusto ninyo and today I announce my retirement from politics,” he added.

The President wished Go the “best and good luck to his quest for the vice presidency.” —KG, GMA News

Attachments

Back