What's new

Donnalyn Bartolome gets flak for toxic positivity' after remark on being grateful for work after holidays

Donnalyn-Bartolome-620x413.png

Donnalyn Bartolome. Image: Instagram/Donna
Donnalyn Bartolome has once again earned the ire of netizens after advising her followers to just be “grateful” for having a job despite returning to work after the holiday season.

Bartolome revealed that she’s “feeling lucky” to return to work on her Facebook page on Tuesday, Jan. 3, and advised netizens to “change” their mindset this new year. Despite coming back to work after Christmas and New Year, the vlogger noted that employees should be thankful because having a job is a “blessing.”

1672833215446.png

“Bakit may sad dahil back to work na? Diba dapat masaya ka kasi may chance ka na pagandahin buhay mo at ng pamilya? Trip ko pa nga may work ng January 1 dahil superstition ko may work ako buong taon pag ganun. Dapat grateful kasi may work,” she said.

(Why are you feeling sad about going back to work? You should be happy because you have another chance to improve your own life, as well as your family? For me, I prefer working on January 1 since I adhere to the superstitious belief that I’ll be working for the whole year anyway. You should be grateful for having work.)

The vlogger also clarified her statement is merely a “reminder” to her followers on social media.

“If work makes you unhappy, I hope you find a job that will. Yung pakikiligin ka and sheet [emoji] Anyway, this is just a reminder that having a job is a blessing bessss change mindset, it’s 2023,” she added.

(If work makes you unhappy, I hope you find a job that makes you happy. Anyway, this is just a reminder that having a job is a blessing. Bes, change your mindset. It’s 2023.)

Bartolome’s post caught the attention of netizens, particularly on Facebook and Twitter, with some calling her out for being “privileged” and “out of touch with the plight of everyday Filipinos.”

“So-called ‘influencers’ like Donnalyn Bartolome [are] the kind of person that [obviously] out of touch with the plight of everyday Filipinos. Although I don’t totally disagree with her opinions, her sentiments are coming from a place of privilege and sadly came out as toxic positivity,” one @joshuaceefox said.

Facebook user Jay-ar Nicolas said it’s better to feel “positive” about coming back to work if everyday Filipinos are blessed with “good governance.”

“Mag out ng 6pm, pipila sa bus/jeep/MRT aabutin ng 2hrs 8pm nakasakay kana siksikan pa. Traffic 1-2hrs byahe mo. Makakarating ka sa bahay ng 10-11pm. tapos nasa minimum wage… Imagine Ms. Donnalyn every senaryo ng bawat Pinoy, sino ang sasaya pumasok araw araw para sa mga kababayan nating ganito ang sitwasyon,” they said.

(Imagine logging out of work at 6 p.m., riding a bus, jeep, or MRT after lining up for two hours, and being stuck in traffic for one to two hours. You’ll probably be at home at around 10 or 11 p.m., then you’re earning minimum wage. Ms. Donnalyn, imagine this being the daily scenarios of Filipinos. Who would feel happy to go back to work when you’re faced with this situation on a day-to-day basis?)

Screen-Shot-2023-01-04-at-12.21.06-PM-620x620.png

Image: Screengrab from Facebook/Donnalyn
Meanwhile, one Dhayanna Lou agreed with Bartolome, saying netizens should be grateful for “having a job.”

Screen-Shot-2023-01-04-at-12.25.23-PM-620x171.png

One Eun Ice, on the other hand, thanked Bartolome for the reminder. “Not really sad but you made me realize that having a work is a blessing. Even a minimum wage earner at malaking gastos sa araw araw but still I see myself as a grateful one to have a job,” they said.

Screen-Shot-2023-01-04-at-12.26.52-PM-620x374.png

“SIS IKAW BA NAMAN WELL-COMPENSATED AT MILYON KINIKITA SYEMPRE FEELING LUCKY KA TALAGA,” another netizen, Venilyn Dano, stated.

(Sis, of course you’ll feel lucky because you’re well-compensated and earn millions in your job.)

Screen-Shot-2023-01-04-at-12.27.28-PM-620x181.png

Despite not mentioning Bartolome, “Drag Race Philippines” season 1 finalist Eva Le Queen said advising wage earners to be grateful is an “arrogant and privileged” take.

The vlogger previously drew criticisms on social media for holding a You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. in August 2022, as well as a sê×ÿ baby-themed photoshoot in July 2022. She eventually apologized for the latter, saying that it was an “honest mistake.”

HINDI NIYA KASI FEEL YUNG IBANG PILIPINONG NAHIHIRAPAN SA PAG BIYAHE SA TRABAHO. MAYAMAN EH. BAKA MAY SARILING KOTSE. SIYA KAYA MARANASAN ANG SITUWASYON NAMIN MGA NAG COCOMMUTE.

Attachments

naku pu! pero kanya kanyang dahilan naman yan pero yung sa kanya positve vibes lang naman sana hatid nia sa mga ibang tao

i see nothing wrong with her ideas, commuter din ako and wala akong dahilan para maging masaya sa work ko but if we just look at the bigger picture which is life as a whole makikita naten ang reason why we should be happy na mag undergo sa mga stressful ins and outs sa work naten

just see the bigger picture if di mo makita ang reason to be happy at your current view

Di kona tinapos pag basa pero anyways diba Dona experienced that also? may proof naman nun napag daanan nya din

May point naman si Dona kaso sa iba hellish kasi ang work or transportation. Noon sa manila ako nagwowork napaka toxic mag commute, sumuko ako at balik probinsya at dun ako nakahanap ng maayos na trabaho. 4hrs lang sleep ko daily noon sa manila.

Haba pa kasi ng sinasabi ayan tuloy na issue. Pwedi naman isang line lang haha. Para nainvalidate kasi feelings ng mga nasa baba. Like okay lang naman maglabas ng hinanaing, magreklamo tayo minsan kasi normal lang mapagod karapatan natin yun.

tama naman yung sinabi niya sa tenga ko
pinagsikapan mong makatapos ng pagaaral para makapag trabaho tapos ngayon mag rereklamo ka sumesweldo ka naman

She's been doing it for years, finally she's being called out for toxic positivity. She didn't endure that much struggle, it would be an insult for the working class.
Having a sportscar at age 16 and now she rants about facing poverty before. WoW

Back