What's new

CEO of Sinopharm distributor disowns exec in radio interview

BB1cZNTR.jpgmark tolentino
An executive of the sole local distributor of Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccines has disowned the individual who claimed to be an officer of the company and who accused government officials of ignoring initiatives to make their vaccines available to Filipinos.

On Senate President Vicente Sotto III's questioning, MKG president and CEO Atty. Mark Kristopher Tolentino said the person who made the allegations was not connected with the company.

He also apologized to vaccines czar Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr. and Health Secretary Francisco Duque III.

Tolentino said he was not the person who made the allegations on radio.

"That's not me, Mr. President. In fact I have no knowledge about that information... I know that person but I'm not authorizing that person. Maybe he's talking on his own behalf, not on behalf of MKG," Tolentino said.

"I would like to apologize to any government [official], especially Secretary [Carlito] Galvez, Secretary [Francisco] Duque, and those involved because it is not under my authority and the authority of the MKG," he added.

Pressed further if the person who claims to be an executive of the MKG was indeed associated with the company, Tolentino answered in the negative: "I think it's Edgar... He's not connected to MKG."

Earlier this month, two anonymous individuals who claimed to be You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. said Sinopharm reached out to the DOH as early as May 2020 for the conduct of clinical trials but Duque allegedly failed to timely act on it.

On Thursday, Eduardo Flojo who claimed to be an executive of the distributor said You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. to state facts as regards Sinopharm and the COVID-19 vaccine program.

Flojo said he was puzzled that Sinopharm was not being considered for vaccine procurement by Galvez, the country's vaccine czar.

“Hindi nga namin alam bakit hindi kami pinapansin eh. KSP (Kulang Sa Pansin) kami,” Flojo said.

Duque denied that he did not act on this, saying the Philippines’ participation in clinical trials, including Sinopharm’s, was You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now..

The Department of Science and Technology also said that Sinopharm reached out to the DOST with two proposals for collaboration, but that the firm never responded afterward.

The Chinese firm has yet to apply for an emergency use authorization for its COVID-19 vaccine, according to the Food and Drug Administration but earlier this month, President Rodrigo Duterte claimed that some military members already received Sinopharm vaccines.

Tolentino said that MKG has You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now., "We categorically deny all the allegations because in the very first place, based on our record, we never imported or distributed Sinopharm vaccine to the Philippines yet."

As to the efficacy of the vaccine, Tolentino said he is not in the proper position to talk on behalf of Sinopharm.

Galvez said Sinopharm's COVID-19 vaccine will be "You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now." in terms of "fairness, equitable access, and cost efficiency" because of its hefty price. -NB, GMA News

This article You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. was originally published in You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Attachments

Back