What's new

Help An "Am I technically within the "lock-in period"? dilemma: my downgrade plan woes with Converge

dothackjhe

Forum Expert
Elite
Background:

I have been an active subscriber of Converge ICT's FiberX plan for more than 2 years now. For the longest time, as a FiberX 1500 plan subscriber, that is, until I immediately upgraded to FiberX 2500 when it was offered at a higher bandwidth (a boost to 300 Mbps) some months ago (January 28, 2022). To say the least, I am among the early adopters of the FiberX 2500 plan at 300 Mbps.

My upgrade had been swift, me being able to hit the stated bandwidth within the same day after I applied for the upgrade, as per Speedtest. However, my experience with the FiberX 2500 has not been satisfactory as far as tapping on the max available bandwidth: I barely hit the 30+ Mbps download speed I was anticipating in many of my downloads, which gives the feeling that I am on the lower end of the service reliability rate of somewhere between 30% to 80%.

Now, after Converge ICT announced that FiberX 1500's bandwidth had been permanently increased to 100 Mbps, it got me want to make the downgrade, considering the rather poor quality of my existing subscription (FiberX 2500). I've already initiated the plan for the downgrade, which Converge ICT's CS team responded to, albeit with some inconsistencies.

First, there is the issue of the "lock-in period," which could mean that I'd be paying P1000 for the downgrade or not at all (beyond lock-in). To which their CS named Candice stated ours as "beyond lock-in".

I've gotten the awareness that my supposed request for the downgrade is meant to be processed, technically, for FREE in that instance, so I raised the question as such. But only seem to be ignored. Yes, the subsequent exchanges never answered it, and instead, I was being pressed to provide essential details to make the downgrade, to which I openly provided, nonetheless.

Then, the last person to respond to my email is a person named Carmy who is now stating that I will have to pay P2000 for the downgrade. Naturally, it prompted me to ask the person herself where such a fee is coming from, considering that the laid out conditions suggest that I'd only be paying P1000 IF AND ONLY IF my household subscription is still technically within the lock-in period. To be fair, I still have not heard of Carmy's reply to the matter.

Throughout my exchanges with Converge ICT's customer support, I have been speaking to a different person EVERY SINGLE TIME, which I suspect is what gives off the irregularities.

I, ultimately, pushed the request to my sibling, who is technically the account holder and even though I was the one who literally pays for the bill. He, meanwhile, is being asked a P1000 fee because, according to the CS who responded to his email, our subscription is technically "within the lock-in period".

Now, I am genuinely confused.

Did my lock-in period make a reset when I made the jump to FiberX 2500 plan from FiberX 1500 last late January?

How long does the lock-in period even last?

I look forward to everyone's response regarding my issue.

Note: I did not make this post to discredit Converge ICT in the quality of its service. To be fair, our internet connection has been mostly stable so far, if not for the issue of me not able to fully tap the available bandwidth. But I can honestly state that my general experience under the FiberX 1500 had been starkly superior to my current FiberX 2500 plan. Not only because I was able to tap on the maximum possible bandwidth in that plan but also because there had been vastly fewer technical issues with it (I have had multiple instances where the internet would stop working under FiberX 2500 due to, what I suspect was, a faulty network or unannounced maintenance).

Last edited:
Apparently, when I made the upgrade from FiberX 1500 to FiberX 2500, my lock-in period got a reset for another 24-month period of validity.

Also, after I raised my interest in opting to downgrade back to a former subscription while highlighting the issue of the internet speed not being satisfactory, I am now able to tap on the full capability of my internet bandwidth.

Back