What's new

Closed A wearable sleep-tracker designed by an MIT team could give people the power to shape their own dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • A team at the You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. has created a device that could help people shape the content of their dreams.
  • Called Dormio, the device consists of a bracelet that tracks sleeping patterns and an app that uses recorded messages to suggest dream topics.
  • In a recent study, 67% of people that Dormio told to "think of a tree" then reported dreaming about trees.
1601612373085.png

Tomás Vega wanted to dream about Oompa Loompas.

The technology engineer — and self-proclaimed You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. — has been developing a device with other researchers at the You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. that could help people shape their own dreams. So when he tested it himself, Vega recorded the Oompa Loompa song from "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory," and instructed the device, called Dormio, to play it to him as he drifted off.

Sure enough, Vega You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now., his semi-conscious mind conjured the iconic scene.

"I started dreaming about being in a chocolate waterfall, surrounded by Oompa Loompas singing 'Oompa Loompa, doopity doo,'" You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now..

Vega and his colleagues tested Dormio on group of 50 people this summer. Their results, published last month in the journal You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now., suggested that Dormio could indeed spur people to dream about topics of their choosing.

The Dormio system consists of two parts. The first is an app that can play and record audio; the second is a wearable device that attaches to a person's wrist, forefinger, and middle finger. The device monitors a wearer's heart rate, the position of their fingers, and other cues to track sleeping patterns.

Dormio activates when its users enter hypnagogia, the earliest stage of sleep. Like REM (rapid-eye movement) sleep, people can dream in the hypnagogic state. But during that phase, they can still hear the outside world and are less fully immersed in their dreams overall.

"This state of mind is trippy, loose, flexible, and divergent," Dr. Adam Haar Horowitz, the lead author of the recent study, You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.. "It's like turning the notch up high on mind-wandering and making it immersive."

For Horowitz' study, participants first recorded their own voices saying: "Remember to think of a tree." As each person prepared for sleep, Dormio played this prompt.

Once the device detected that a person had entered hypnagogia, it would play the prompt again. After a brief period, it would wake the person with another prompt: "Please tell me what was just going through your mind." The person would explain his or her dream.

Dormio cycled through the prompts multiple times, with each participant setting their own number of cycles.

By the end, 67% of study participants reported dreaming of trees. The details of the trees varied widely – one person dreamed of a tree-shaped car, for instance.

The researchers also noted that participants' dream descriptions seemed to get more bizarre each time the app woke them up.

For instance, one subject started off by dreaming about "many different kinds" of trees, including pines and oaks. But by the fifth wakeup, that person reported dreaming about "a shaman, sitting under the tree with me, he tells me to go to South America."

Turning dreams into tools

Some research suggests that people who practice skills in their dreams could could improve at those skills in their waking life. For instance, a You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. found that people who practiced a finger-tapping exercise during a lucid dream – a dream in which the sleeper is self-aware and can control what happens – improved at the task significantly compared to those who didn't practice in their sleep.

Other studies have shown that You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. may help someone improve at that language. And some anecdotal evidence suggests that dreaming about certain subjects can also help people with creative problem-solving. Horowitz writes about how Thomas Edison and Salvador Dalí each dreams to help them design their inventions and paintings.

While Dormio may not be able to induce lucid dreams in everyone, it could encourage peoples' dreams to go in useful directions, Horowitz wrote in the study.

"Similar to the experiences of Edison and Dali, the Dormio device could take advantage of the sleep onset period to incubate specific problems and generate specific solutions," he said.

Dormio isn't on the market yet, but Pattie Maes, a coauthor of the study, said something like it could be soon.

"This work has the potential to lead to new commercial technologies that go beyond sleep tracking," Maes You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now..

Several other universities have also begun studying Dormio's potential, including Harvard, Duke, and the University of Chicago.

Attachments

I need this ^
laging vivid yung panaginip ko, but I could never control it. ;____;

true, lalo na if maiimprove pa yung capabilities nung technology.

but imagine na possibilities.
but then what if, in the 7+hrs that we're sleeping, sabihin na natin na about 3+hrs nun we're dreaming, we could spend it to train our skills, or to maybe use it to find solutions to problems na mahirap or dangerous gawin/i-conduct in real life.

darwback siguro is, parang di rin nakapag pahinga yung utak natin if even sa panaginip, aware tayo.

(ps, is that your miming? OwO cute miming, and swerte mo natyempuhan mo sya sa ganyang position) xD

Last edited by a moderator:
[XX='Eseru, c: 349309, m: 839651'][/XX]

(Off topic ;): yes, he was my miming... sadly he died last year, he was 9 years old :cry:, I still have 2 others one 13 y/o black with a big white smile on her belly and one 8 y/o totally white !)

hugs for the miming that you have lost. I know that with you and your family, he lived a good life.

oh! I have a white miming din, and I think he's about a year old na, and still, dumedede pa rin sa nanay nya 😆baby boi pa rin, inaagawan yung kuting na kapatid.

a miming with big white smile on the belly OwO
pic or that miming is an impostor 😆
jk jk

dyan na ata patungo yung tech, malaki na yung advancement sa nueroscience na kahit si Elon Musk nagka interest at gumawa nang neuralink.

One day we may find out that sub atomic particles in our brain are concious, the universe is concious pero di nga lang kapareho sa frequency nang consciousness natin mga tao.

hugs for the miming that you have lost. I know that with you and your family, he lived a good life.

oh! I have a white miming din, and I think he's about a year old na, and still, dumedede pa rin sa nanay nya 😆baby boi pa rin, inaagawan yung kuting na kapatid.

a miming with big white smile on the belly OwO
pic or that miming is an impostor 😆
jk jk
OFF TOPIC! Thanks TS!
1602161432554.png

Attachments

ganda nito,bubuo kami ng pamilya ng crush ko sa panaginip🤣
Every matutulog,sya parati ang iisipin ko😂

What if dumating yung technology na pwede mo na rin i-envade yung panaginip ng ibang tao.
Pwede mo na dalawin si crush sa panaginip nya, then mag send ka ng subtle messages na ikaw yung 'the one' nya, eventually, mai-inlove na rin si crush sayo nun irl 😆

Last edited by a moderator:
[XX='Eseru, c: 372349, m: 839651'][/XX]astig nun paps hahaha
magkakatuluyan na kami ni crush pag nangyari yun🤣
Diko alam,ngayon lang ako tinamaan ng ganito sa bago kong crush,everytime nakikita ko sobrang saya ko,bou na yung araw ko😍
Gusto ko syang yakapin and say,"I love you😘"

Status
Not open for further replies.