What's new

Closed Is it good to opensource my system projects on github?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzz

Forum Guru
Reaction
I'm graduating student, and I already have a portfolio site which included the demo and presentation of my 2 thesis projects. Is it enough or do I need to open-source my projects in applying for a job?

Ang kinababahala ko kasi, since fully functional at almost complete modules ang mga system pwedeng gawing instant thesis ng students or pagkakitaan ang system kapag ginawa kong opensource.

Any suggestion? What are pros and cons?

Last edited:
Lagay mo sa Github mga projects mo din gawin mong private. Once na mag-apply ka ipa-kita mo lang yung github porfolio mo sa company ganun lang ka simple.

Ganyan din kasi payo sa akin ni Boss Causing Glenn, dyan daw dapat ilagay kasi incase na masira or ma-delete mo yung system mo may backup ka sa github (y)

@Zyzz

I personally suggest gawing mo open source, para makita nang employer mo yung quality of work. From here, if gusto mo create commercial version sa thesis mo, gawin mo private, with feature included sa ρáíd version nang competition mo.

Please read his thread first

Hello, Kentify. Yes po, binasa ko po yung thread, before making a reply.

Yes, I understand na fully functional yung project, and pwd commercial use. Given, your project is an open source, mahirap e restrict yun usage sa project mo.

I personally suggest e open source, for your employer able to see your work, and get feedback sa community if merun suggestion or bug sa project mo. Same with Linux, this is a working project, share mo sa community, and it turns out meron devs na same interest with your work, and tend to collaborate, which create a better project.

Anyhow, this is suggestion, you have the freedom to keep your project private if you are not comfortable with the said suggestion.

Hello, Kentify. Yes po, binasa ko po yung thread, before making a reply.

Yes, I understand na fully functional yung project, and pwd commercial use. Given, your project is an open source, mahirap e restrict yun usage sa project mo.

I personally suggest e open source, for your employer able to see your work, and get feedback sa community if merun suggestion or bug sa project mo. Same with Linux, this is a working project, share mo sa community, and it turns out meron devs na same interest with your work, and tend to collaborate, which create a better project.

Anyhow, this is suggestion, you have the freedom to keep your project private if you are not comfortable with the said suggestion.
I understand about the collaboration part but it has a risk also if you make it open source. Sabi nga nya na may estudyante lang na kukunin yung projects nya for free kaya sayang lang efforts nya kung ganun.

I understand about the collaboration part but it has a risk also if you make it open source. Sabi nga nya na may estudyante lang na kukunin yung projects nya for free kaya sayang lang efforts nya kung ganun.

Hello Kentify,

Yes, yan ang downside sa opensource project. Think about WordPress, this is an opensource, many devs and agency gumagamit nang WordPress sa personal and commercial projects.

In fact, WordPress keeps getting better given it is free and anyone can download sa source code and improve sa functionality or create their own plugin for commercial or personal used.

Yes, I understand and agree na yung students have the freedom to download the entire source code and used Zyzz project for their thesis, which Zyzz does not have the control for this action, except if you he will keep his project in private.

If you are bothered with the said approach, keep it private then.

Hello Kentify,

Yes, yan ang downside sa opensource project. Think about WordPress, this is an opensource, many devs and agency gumagamit nang WordPress sa personal and commercial projects.

In fact, WordPress keeps getting better given it is free and anyone can download sa source code and improve sa functionality or create their own plugin for commercial or personal used.

Yes, I understand and agree na yung students have the freedom to download the entire source code and used Zyzz project for their thesis, which Zyzz does not have the control for this action, except if you he will keep his project in private.

If you are bothered with the said approach, keep it private then.
It's the TS who has the final take on this. We should probably wait for his feedback (y)

Ano mas importante sa iyo, ang kinikimkim mong obra maestra o yung maitutulong nito sa iyo by showcasing your skills to your potential employers?

Use your project as a tool, just like a boat to take you elsewhere. Or tie your boat into the wharf and gets you nowhere.

If you decide to open source it, choose an appropriate license.

Ito gawin mo, gawa ka lang github account. Lagay mo dun mga projects mo private or public(or open source).

Kapag public, ilagay mo lang sa readme.md na file ang list of functionalities ng project mo tapos lagay ka din screenshots or online demo link para dun sila magtetest or mag-explore ng project mo. In that case, kahit sino wala silang makukuha na codes para gawing instant thesis.

Yung mga public repository or projects mo pwede mo ibigay kahit kanino or kahit sa job interview mo.

Nasa sa iyo yan kung ano gusto mo, mag-open source or ayaw. If showcase of project lang need mo then yan sa baba ang solution.

If you put it in Github's public repo, then it's free for grabs. People can fork it and you have no control over it. If you put it in Github's private repo, then it's for your eyes only. No one can grab it. The only problem is you have to pay for private repo in Github.

If you really want to use a private repo, please use Gitlab. Their private repos are FREE.

Now if you really intend to make your projects open to the public, then opt for the public repo.

If you want it to make private but still accessible to your employers, you can just tell them on your resume (or via email) that you can email them a zip copy of your private repo (or you can give them access to your private repository).

If other students s†éál your thesis and make it an instant thesis, then I feel sorry for these students because they aren't really benefiting from it.

I feel sorry for the professors for failing to recognize their student's capabilities and failing to recognize a plagiarized thesis from an original one. A good prof can sniff out plagiarized thesis. If students can fool their prof by simple copy and paste thesis, then the students must be really smart or the prof is too incompetent. I give kudos to the students then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back