What's new

Closed PBA: Compton resigns as Alaska coach, Cariaso to take over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dora The Explorer

Forum Guru
Reaction
Alex Compton has resigned as head coach of the Alaska Aces after five years in charge of the team, the franchise announced on Thursday.
Taking over his position is longtime deputy Jeffrey Cariaso.
In a statement, Compton said: "Yesterday at his house, a man I deeply respect, Fred Uytengsu, sat down with me, looked me in the eye, and asked me to step down."

"I accepted his direction and have agreed to resign as head coach of the Alaska Aces. It has been an honor for me to coach such a storied franchise," he added.
"I have made great relationships and have a lot of love for people in the organization. Being a part of the Alaska family has meant a lot to me and my family, and we will always treasure our time with the Aces."
Compton steered Alaska to five championship appearances in 15 conferences, the most recent of which was the 2018 PBA Governors' Cup Finals where they lost to Magnolia.
Uytengsu, the team owner, said they were sorry to see Compton leave and lauded his impact on the team.
"We also share that winning (with integrity) is an important aspect of our team, and are grateful that Alex stepped aside to pave the way for someone else to lead our Aces to our next championship," said Uytengsu.
Cariaso now has "the full trust" of the Alaska management, said Uytengsu, and he hopes to see the former pro become the first Alaska player to win championships both as a player and head coach.
"I am honored for the opportunity, and genuinely humbled as I face the challenge," said Cariaso. "Certainly, I will give my best, nothing less."
Alaska made it to the quarterfinals of the Commissioner's Cup as the 8th seed, pushing top-seeded TNT to a do-or-die game where they lost 104-93.

Status
Not open for further replies.