What's new

Raising Awareness: Electron JS Framework

pixkit

Honorary Poster
Reaction
A bit of background: I'm a professional software engineer, and it's my goal to raise awareness within our fellow kababayans in the Philippines to get better with software development. I'm in the US by the way.

My biggest gripe is I see a lot of students who are still resorting to outdated frameworks, ρáíd tools (You got the money? Sure pay, but there are open source alternatives), häçked or îllégâl software for programming. I see a lot of kids trying to create their Inventory Systems, POS Systems, or whatever systems in Visual Basic 6 and MS Access. Why? Let me suggest a series of modern, open-source, free alternatives:

Building Desktop Apps
If you wanna build cross platform apps using JavaScript, HTML, and CSS, why not try Electron JSYou do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.?

If you can build a website, you can build a desktop app. Electron is a framework for creating native applications with web technologies like JavaScript, HTML, and CSS. It takes care of the hard parts so you can focus on the core of your application.

Some apps that are built in Electron:
  • Figma
  • Flow
  • Beaker Browser
  • Hyper
  • GitKraken
  • Ghost
  • WebTorrent
  • #forbidden#
  • WordPress.com
  • Caret
  • Visual Studio Code
  • Kitematic
  • Slack
  • Atom
IDEs and Text Editors
  • VS Code You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.. It's open-source text-editor for software development.
    You can use it for JavaScript, PHP, Ruby, Python, Java, Go, Rust, HTML, CSS, etc
  • STS You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. (rebranded Eclipse but with Spring support).
    If you go to their site, they have integration with VSCode as well
Containers
  • Docker You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.. Docker allows you to describe the infrastructure or server of your program as a code.
  • Docker allows you to run multiple databases in your machine without conflict and it can do more than that. This is a whole different kind of beast.
Mobile Apps
  • React Native You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.. Deploy apps for Android and IOS
For Java developers
  • If you are building enterprise apps or just any web app, go with Spring Framework You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. There is no need to reinvent the wheel.
Databases
  • Please learn to grow beyond Excel and MS Access for your database. There is a lot of open source and more powerful databases
  • Mysql
  • MariaDb
  • Redis
  • MongoDb
  • InfluxDB
  • Neo4J
  • Postgres
  • Cassandra
Messaging Frameworks
  • STOP putting everything in databases. A quick Google for reference You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.
  • Look at RabbitMQ
  • Kafka
  • ActiveMQ
  • Apache Camel (not necessarily a messaging framework but it's an integration library)
  • Spring Integration (same as above)
Diagram Tool: Hands down it's You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Version control:
  • Start learning how to use git. It's like time machine for your code. You can go back in time and save everything
  • Speaking of version control, you should sign up for an online git hosting. Why not try gitlab.com? You can create private and public repositories of your code for FREE.
Wanna know how to make almost anything under the sun? Go check Instructables at You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
A bit of background: I'm a professional software engineer, and it's my goal to raise awareness within our fellow kababayans in the Philippines to get better with software development. I'm in the US by the way.

My biggest gripe is I see a lot of students who are still resorting to outdated frameworks, ρáíd tools (You got the money? Sure pay, but there are open source alternatives), häçked or îllégâl software for programming. I see a lot of kids trying to create their Inventory Systems, POS Systems, or whatever systems in Visual Basic 6 and MS Access. Why? Let me suggest a series of modern, open-source, free alternatives:

Building Desktop Apps
If you wanna build cross platform apps using JavaScript, HTML, and CSS, why not try Electron JSYou do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.?

Some apps that are built in Electron:
  • Figma
  • Flow
  • Beaker Browser
  • Hyper
  • GitKraken
  • Ghost
  • WebTorrent
  • #forbidden#
  • WordPress.com
  • Caret
  • Visual Studio Code
  • Kitematic
  • Slack
  • Atom
IDEs and Text Editors
  • VS Code You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.. It's open-source text-editor for software development.
    You can use it for JavaScript, PHP, Ruby, Python, Java, Go, Rust, HTML, CSS, etc
  • STS You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. (rebranded Eclipse but with Spring support).
    If you go to their site, they have integration with VSCode as well
Containers
  • Docker You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.. Docker allows you to describe the infrastructure or server of your program as a code.
  • Docker allows you to run multiple databases in your machine without conflict and it can do more than that. This is a whole different kind of beast.
Mobile Apps
  • React Native You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.. Deploy apps for Android and IOS
For Java developers
  • If you are building enterprise apps or just any web app, go with Spring Framework You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. There is no need to reinvent the wheel.
Databases
  • Please learn to grow beyond Excel and MS Access for your database. There is a lot of open source and more powerful databases
  • Mysql
  • MariaDb
  • Redis
  • MongoDb
  • InfluxDB
  • Neo4J
  • Postgres
  • Cassandra
Messaging Frameworks
  • STOP putting everything in databases. A quick Google for reference You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.
  • Look at RabbitMQ
  • Kafka
  • ActiveMQ
  • Apache Camel (not necessarily a messaging framework but it's an integration library)
  • Spring Integration (same as above)
Diagram Tool: Hands down it's You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Version control:
  • Start learning how to use git. It's like time machine for your code. You can go back in time and save everything
  • Speaking of version control, you should sign up for an online git hosting. Why not try gitlab.com? You can create private and public repositories of your code for FREE.
Wanna know how to make almost anything under the sun? Go check Instructables at You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

yehey react native for the win ! :)

Sir I wanna know how to get and connect server for free because I trying to learn Php language but I can't run it because php need a server,tell me how pls,Thanks😀

Sir I wanna know how to get and connect server for free because I trying to learn Php language but I can't run it because php need a server,tell me how pls,Thanks😀

You mean running a local server on your machine and deploying your Php app on it? If yes, my best advice is to install Docker and then download the Php Docker image: You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.. This will allow you to have your own local server and deploy any Php app WITHOUT messing your machine. Think of it as a lightweight virtual image. If you are in Windows, you can install Docker here You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

FYI: I use all three OS: Windows, Mac, Linux (Ubuntu)

An alternative to Docker is to use Vagrant. See You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.. Vagrant allows you to automate the creation of virtual images in VirtualBox (There's one for VMWare You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.)
Vagrant spins up a whole OS but Docker just spins up process that looks like an OS to your program. Choose Docker if possible because it's lightweight. But don't dismiss Vagrant either. You can try both