What's new

Tutorial 6 Things to Do When a Friend Is Spreading Rumors About You

Professora Akira

☯️ SôulNinetãiL☯️
Contributor
Solutions
Reaction

1. Take some time to breathe.​

While it's incredibly frustrating to find out that a friend has been spreading untrue things about you, it's important to stay calm. Don't immediately react to the situation, and don't retaliate against your friend. It's easy to lose control during the initial shock, but doing so will only make matters worse.

2. Talk to your friend.​

After your initial emotions die down, it's time to speak with your friend about the issue. Don't beat around the bush. Tell your friend exactly how you feel and how the rumor-spreading has affected you personally. "Be clear about why you're meeting and how you're feeling.

3. Try not to let the situation get you down.​

Throughout the ordeal, you might feel embarrassed, ashamed, and even humiliated about the rumors that your friend is spreading. You might feel exposed like everyone knows your deepest, darkest secrets. You might feel like everyone is talking about you.. Don't isolate yourself from others or hide from everyone. It's important to stay connected with other people during the entire situation. "Let people who feel safe and care about you support you.

4. Remember: the rumor isn't a reflection of you.​

"Most of the time, gossip says more about the gossiper than the gossipe.Stay confident in what your truth is and know that's the most important thing. Remind yourself that you can't control what other people say or think about you—but you can control your own thoughts, actions, and what you believe about yourself.

5. Think about the conversation and the friendship.​

After speaking with your friend, you might have a lot to consider.This question might help you to reflect;
Instead of making a quick decision after the confrontation, ask yourself: How did my friend respond to me? (i.e. compassion, anger, defensiveness, regret, etc.) How did it make me feel? (i.e. seen, understood, annoyed, confused etc.) Do I trust my friend to keep their word and honor our friendship in the future? Why or why not? What boundaries might I need to set with this friend (i.e. expectation-setting, no longer sharing sensitive information, investing less time in the friendship, etc.)?

6. End the friendship.​

A true friend should care about how their actions affect you. If you find that your friend shows indifference about the situation or continues to spread rumors about you even after you've spoken to them about it, it might be time to cut the cord.Be willing to take a step back from the relationship if it's hurting your mental health—staying in a toxic pattern isn't good for your mental health.

-HelloGiggles

Bukas nga ang mga mata mo sa ganyan dahil sa real eyes. Joke lang. 🤣
totoo yun haha wala akong pake sa ganyang tao malinis din kunsensya ko hahaha! depende nalang sa pinagsasabihan nya nung gawang2 kwento

hehe madami talaga ,mga toxic kasi sila mostly 🤣tsaka walang magawa kundi pag usapan buhay ng ibang tao.
haha sarap ipakain sa buwaya eh nuh? haha

totoo yun haha wala akong pake sa ganyang tao malinis din kunsensya ko hahaha! depende nalang sa pinagsasabihan nya nung gawang2 kwento

haha sarap ipakain sa buwaya eh nuh? haha
kaya nga hahaga sarap ipain sa bakunawa eh 🤣pero dito sanay na lalo sa mga kapitbahay na tsismosa at echusera haha,na iimune na at labas tenga na lang.Normal na sa mga taong walang magawa sa buhay nila hehe kaya abala maglaan ng time manira ng ibang tao.Dyan sila masaya eh,let them be as long as ikaw walang ginagawang masama at di naman sila ang nagpapakain sayo ,who cares sa mga ganyang tao.Yung tipong pabida lang ,alam na alam storya ng buhay mo hehe,

kaya nga hahaga sarap ipain sa bakunawa eh 🤣pero dito sanay na lalo sa mga kapitbahay na tsismosa at echusera haha,na iimune na at labas tenga na lang.Normal na sa mga taong walang magawa sa buhay nila hehe kaya abala maglaan ng time manira ng ibang tao.Dyan sila masaya eh,let them be as long as ikaw walang ginagawang masama at di naman sila ang nagpapakain sayo ,who cares sa mga ganyang tao.Yung tipong pabida lang ,alam na alam storya ng buhay mo hehe,
sana sila na yung kukunin ni lord eh kung manghuhusga lang naman sila sa buhay nila na di naman sa kanila haha