What's new

Closed Fabiano caruana is poised to do what no american has done since bobby fischer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

_GRANDMASTER_

Forum Expert
Reaction
upload_2018-4-4_6-54-25.gif upload_2018-4-4_6-54-25.gif upload_2018-4-4_6-54-25.gif upload_2018-4-4_6-54-25.gif [paste:font size="6"]Fabiano Caruana is poised to do what no American has done since Bobby Fischer. Here’s the path he took to get there

file-20180330-189801-bcb4db.jpg?ixlib=rb-1.1.jpg
U.S. chess grandmaster Fabiano Caruana is set to vie for the world title. You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.
Whenever a glimmer of chess talent is spotted in the United States, people often ask: “Is this the next Bobby Fischer?”

In the early 2000s, a diminutive, bespectacled young boy – who by age 9 was already battling seasoned competitors in top-level sections – had his name added to the roster of Fischer aspirants.

His name is Fabiano Caruana.

Fabiano, now 25, has finally earned the right to challenge reigning chess champion Magnus Carlsen for the world championship crown this November in London. On March 27, he You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. in thrilling fashion.

If Fabiano defeats Magnus this fall, he will become the first American to hold the world title since Fischer beat the Soviet Union’s Boris Spassky in their epic match. Fischer’s victory set off a wave of interest known as the “Fischer Boom,” attracting thousands of new chess enthusiasts. His achievement was celebrated as a symbolic victory for the U.S. since the world title had been held exclusively by Soviet players for the previous quarter century during the Cold War era.

You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.
Chess star Bobby Fischer, pictured in New York in 1962. You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.
Will a Fabiano victory set off another “boom” the way Fischer’s victory did in the 1970s? That remains to be seen. But what is certain is that Fabiano’s progress as a chess player – which I have observed and You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. for many years You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. for You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.– is more than just his rise to stardom. His evolution makes a good case study for homeschooling and other ways of learning that enable young people to break free from the static environment of formal education in order to pursue their passions. It also makes for a good case study of what talent looks like in its earliest stages.

Composed and Confident
Over the years, I have witnessed talented “juniors” in the chess world and studied their composure at the chess board. From the earliest times when I first saw Fabiano, I noticed something different about how the Miami-born, Brooklyn-bred boy of Italian ancestry approached the game. Attentive and engaged, Fabiano carried unmistakable energy, focus and determination.

After playing in the same tournament section with Fabiano in the early 2000s, I observed how he would set the plastic chess figurines perfectly on the checkered squares and sit in anticipation of his opponent. Despite his size, his sense of confidence was impressive. I continued to follow his progress.

You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.
Author’s photo of Fabiano Caruana at the 2003 Foxwoods Open chess tournament. You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now., Author provided
Magnus Carlsen’s rise to stardom is well-known in chess circles and chronicled in the biography, You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.Fabiano’s story has some similarities. Parents grapple with ideas to help their children realize their unique set of talents. Fabiano’s parents – You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.– made a tough decision and You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now..

Maliq Matthew, a sociology professor at the University of Cincinnati, told me about Fabiano from his chess-playing days in New York. He recalled his concern on whether Lou was taking too big a risk in moving Fabiano to Europe to pursue a chess career when his talent trajectory for chess was still uncertain. “I remember when he was leaving, and we were wondering if (Fabiano’s father) Lou was going too far in,” Matthew said.

The elder Caruana You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. about the decision to move to Europe in a 2007 interview. “It was hard to evaluate. It was more of a risk than what we had realized at the time,” Lou Caruana said. “But it did work out.” Bobby Fischer had also You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. to focus his energy solely on chess.

The making of a world-class player
Once inside European chess circles, Fabiano had access to world-class trainers and stronger competition. In retrospect, it appears that his experience abroad helped him to channel the toughness that he developed from the hardscrabble chess scene in New York. During his You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now., he took a vaulted leap, won a number of strong tournaments and steadily increased in the world rankings.

In 2014, Fabiano You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. and made history by starting the You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. with You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.. This field included Magnus Carlsen, the reigning world champion, who hails from Norway. At the press conference, You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. if he had ever thought he would become one of the world’s top players. This was his response:

“When I was a kid, I didn’t imagine that I would play chess professionally. I mean I always loved chess, but when I was a kid, it was just a hobby. After school I would go and play in the You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. and I would play game 30s (30 minutes per game). I thought at some point that I would move away from chess, that I would keep going to school. But it worked out this way. I’m very happy about it. But I didn’t really have those thoughts when I was a kid.”

Winning gold for the US
One can argue that Fabiano’s experiences abroad were instrumental in the social maturation process and may have provided him with a very balanced perspective on life. In any case, the European stint charted a course for success.

In 2015, Fabiano You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.after deciding that it would provide him with a path to vie for the world championship. Unfortunately, he missed qualification in the You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. after a heartbreaking loss to Russia’s Sergey Karjakin. Not to be deterred, You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. for the first time and later that year helped the You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Attachments

Malayong tawagin siyang next Bobby Fischer,
una,
hindi siya american,isa siyang italian,si nakamura naman ay japanese,at wesly so naman ay pinoy,ang big 3 nila ay hindi talaga americans.
pangalawa,mag-isa lang lumaban si Fischer,walang back up ng malalaking kompanya,si caruana ay may sponsors na company,at may seconds.
napilitan lang magkaroon ng seconds si fischer dahil requirements ito,at si eugene torre ang tumayong second niya,
hindi rin siya attacker na kagaya ni fischer.solid positional siya at nanalo sa counter attack.
sa analysis ko,hindi pa niya kayang talunin si Magnus carlsen.

Malayong tawagin siyang next Bobby Fischer,
una,
hindi siya american,isa siyang italian,si nakamura naman ay japanese,at wesly so naman ay pinoy,ang big 3 nila ay hindi talaga americans.
pangalawa,mag-isa lang lumaban si Fischer,walang back up ng malalaking kompanya,si caruana ay may sponsors na company,at may seconds.
napilitan lang magkaroon ng seconds si fischer dahil requirements ito,at si eugene torre ang tumayong second niya,
hindi rin siya attacker na kagaya ni fischer.solid positional siya at nanalo sa counter attack.
sa analysis ko,hindi pa niya kayang talunin si Magnus carlsen.
Bro, sa tingin mo sino mananalo Carlsen or batang Kasparov?.

Bro, sa tingin mo sino mananalo Carlsen or batang Kasparov?.
Kung papabatain si kasparov.siguro si kasparov,iba ang will power ni kasparov,bagamat mortal siyang kalaban ng idol ko ay pinag aralan ko ang mga moves nya.Wala pa akong nakikita na will power na kagaya ni kasparov..basahin mo unang world championship nila ni karpov at kasparov.isang panalo na lamang pero hindi maipanalo ni karpov at umabot ng 40 draws,kasi draws not counted.grabeng will power yun.

Status
Not open for further replies.